Monday, June 20, 2016

June 20, 2016

it's just going to be a short and sweet one this week. sorry.. I'm totally out of time..
but it was a happy and successful week. really. 

but I'll just tell one story..
this morning we went to visit an investigator.. and she wasn't there.. when she really should have been. and we just felt like we really needed to go and see a recent convert. His name is Sixto.. and he was baptized about 8 months ago. he is 53 and seriously just LOVES sharing the gospel. this week he actually told us.. "hermanas.. sometimes I just want to shove someone up the wall and force them to listen to you guys.. or hold them at gunpoint and take them to church!" We told him that he definitely shouldn't do that.. and that we need to have patience, respect people's agency, and trust in God's timing for every person as we do our part. But I couldn't help but smile.. his enthusiasm for the gospel is amazing.. and seriously every time we pass by to visit him.. he has someone new that he met or a new neighbor that he wants us to visit. 
The thing about sixto is that he lives alone.. and is lonely. He is divorced form his wife.. and his two daughters live in buenos aires with their mom. he doesn't have the easiest life.. works alot.. and has a hard time forgetting his past life before he was baptized and forgiving himself and the damage he did to himself and others. So we passed by and visited him and as we were sitting and talking to him.. I saw a pack of cigarettes in his pocket. I asked him what it was.. and he told us that he started smoking a few cigarettes a week like two weeks ago. It literally was such a shock and heartbreaking for both my companion and I.
We asked him to sit down with us so that we could talk with him. we sang a hymn which immediately brought more peace to the situation and my companion offered a sincere prayer. 
After the prayer we looked up at eachother in silence for a minute... and he grabbed the pack of cigarrettes and crumpled it up in a ball and there it away. He said.. "Hermanas I know it's wrong. and that I am in sin. But what can I do about it? It's really hard and the temptation is so strong.. especially when I'm sad or lonely."
We talked about repetance.. and about atonement of jesus christ. about how his sacrifice was for us. 
God is willing and WANTS to forgive. every time we come to him, he will forgive us. every time. 
It was so amazing to just bear such simple testimony of my savior. I know he lived. and lives this very day. I know it. 
God is our father. and it doesn't matter how many times we mess up.. he is there. and wants us clean and back with him.. and I am so grateful for our savior who was willing to do what he did for each of us. 
my heart is full. I love this work. and I am lucky to wear his name every day.

this is the last week of President LaPierre.. and it's all just very sad. really. but it will be exciting and a great new adventure to be with our new president President Svec. 

sending you all my love.. especially to all of the dads out there. I hope you all had the greatest week. ESPECIALLY TO MY DAD. :) 
AND MY NEW NEPHEW.. YAYAY.

xoxo
Hermana Ehlert

paz y bendiciones 
(peace and blessings)

jumping pic. classic.

me and an emu that we pass walking to leticia and ignacio's house. hahhaa. 

the photo.. is the OLD church in my area.. and then the new one on the first sunday almost exactly 2 years later. Isn't it gorgeous?! SO AMAZING. love this branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment